Auto Icon


Get affordable auto insurance in Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas & Illinois
Get a Quote
Home Icon


Homeowners, vacant property and landlord insurance in Missouri & Kansas
Get a Quote
Motorcycle Icon


We browse through a wide variety of coverages and find the right one for you.
Get a Quote
SR22 Icon


SR22 and non-owner insurance for Missouri, Kansas & Illinois
Get a Quote
Commercial Auto Icon

Commercial Auto

Commercial insurance for semi-trucks, dump trucks, box trucks and more!
Get a Quote
General Liability Icon

General Liability

Protect your business with general liability insurance!
Get a Quote
Home » FAQ


What is an SR22?

An SR22 is a certificate that insurance companies file with the State verifying your active insurance coverage. You may be required by the State to carry SR22 insurance for 1 year or more. Failure to maintain SR22 insurance policy during the requirement period can result in suspension of your license.


Why do I need SR22?

Different violations can trigger an SR22 requirement. Things like unpaid tickets, too many points on your driving record, driving without insurance violations, missed court dates, DUI’s or even missed child support payments. Once you are required to get an SR22, you need to have insurance even if you don’t own a vehicle. This policy is called non-owner insurance.

Our agents can help you comply with the State requirements. Call us at 816.453.7722 or fill out our online form.


What is a non-owner policy?

A non-owner policy is a liability policy on an individual. There is no vehicle listed on the policy. This type of policy is mostly associated with and SR22 filing for people who don’t own any vehicles, but must carry insurance.

A non-owner policy comes with certain restrictions typically not part of an owners policy. Call us for more details or to get a quote.

How Much Is SR22 Insurance?

The cost of filing an SR22 varies from different insurance companies and states. If you have an existing auto insurance policy, it could be just a matter of adding an SR22 to your auto insurance. Some insurance companies have a small filing fee of $25 to add the SR22, while other companies can consider you a high risk and decide to not renew your insurance policy.

If you need an SR22, but don’t have current insurance or a vehicle, you need to purchase a non-owner insurance policy. This way you can reinstate your license by filing an SR22.

Adding the SR22 to your policy could also mean higher monthly payments.

Bargain Insurance Connection can guide you through the process of filing the SR22 with the state.

Give us a call at 816.453.7722 or fill out our online quote.


Can I have SR22 Without Insurance?

The SR22 form is proof of liability insurance to the state. To get the SR22, you must have a valid insurance policy that shows that your insurance meets legal liability limits of your state.

However, you can get the SR22 if you don’t own any vehicle. For those cases there is a non-owner SR22 insurance which provides liability insurance for the driver.

Our agents at Bargain Insurance Connection can best explain you the details and limitations of a non-owner insurance policy.

Give us a quick call at 816.453.7722 or click here for more info.


Can I File SR22 For Another State?

Yes, you can file the SR22 for a state other than your residence. If your license was suspended in different state, ask your insurance company to file the SR22 for that state.

Not all insurance companies operate in every state, if you happen to need an SR22 where your insurance company does not do business, you may have to switch your insurance companies.

Our agents can best explain you the details about SR22 insurance, give us a quick call at 816.453.7722 or 1.877.453.7374

Will an SR22 affect my insurance premium?

An SR22 will in most cases increase your insurance premium. While some insurance companies have a flat fee for SR22 filing, more common practice is that your monthly payments will change.

Since SR22 is considered a higher risk category, some insurance companies may choose not renew your insurance policy because of this requirement.

Our agents can best explain you the best way to proceed. Give us a call at 816.453.7722 for additional consultation.

What is the difference between SR22 and regular insurance?

An SR22 filing is an addition to your insurance policy. The insurance company notifies the license bureau that you have a valid insurance policy.

When SR22 is filed it can also increase your insurance premium.

What is an SR26?

An SR26 form is filed by your insurance company cancelling your SR22 filing. This happens if your insurance policy cancels during your SR22 requirement period.

The license bureau in turn can suspend your license again.

How to remove the SR22 from the policy?

Call your insurance company or your insurance agent and let them know that you no longer need the SR22. At this point your insurance company will remove the SR22 from your policy.

The state will not automatically notify your insurance company when you no longer need the SR22, it is your job to notify your insurance company about the change.

Does SR22 Insurance Cover Any Vehicle You Drive?

If you have a non-owner SR22 insurance, you are covered by liability insurance with cars you drive, but don’t own.

There are also restrictions that apply to vehicles that your household member owns.

If you have your vehicle listed on your SR22 policy, then your insurance coverage follows your car.

Anytime you drive someone else’s vehicle, owner’s insurance company provides primary coverage in an accident. Your policy could pay if liability limits are exhausted on the primary policy.

Is SR22 Insurance Full Coverage?

SR22 insurance does not mean full coverage. SR22 insurance let’s your state know that you have a valid insurance policy.

You are required to have at least liability insurance to satisfy your state’s requirements.

If your vehicle on the policy has comprehensive and collision coverage, in most cases you can just add an SR22 filing to your policy.

How do I find out if I need SR22 insurance?

Contact your local license bureau and they will let you know what you need to reinstate your license.

If you are suspended, most suspension require filing an SR22.

Call Bargain Insurance Connection at 816.453.7722 to find the lowest SR22 filings.

How Do I Obtain SR22 Insurance?

Most auto insurance companies offer SR22 filing. Contact your insurance agent or your insurance company.

Once your purchase the SR22 insurance, your insurance agent will fax your SR22 form to the state.

Bargain Insurance Connection is here to help you get SR22 insurance, just call us at 816.453.7722 or fill out our online form.

Where Can I Get Non-Owner Insurance?

Non-owner insurance is available from most insurance companies.

You qualify for a non-owner policy if you don’t own any vehicles.

Bargain Insurance Connection can help you obtain a non-owner insurance with or without the SR22. Just give us a call at 816.453.7722 or fill out our online form.

Do I need SR22 to reinstate my license?

In most cases filing the SR22 with the state is required to get your license reinstated.

If you have a ticked for driving without insurance or have a DUI, you are most likely required to get the SR22 insurance.

In some cases, you just need to pay your outstanding fines.

Check with your license bureau about your requirement.

Can I Get Insurance With a Suspended License?

You can still get insurance even with a suspended license. While it’s true that not all insurance companies will accept you, there are others that will.

In some cases it’s only acceptable is you need an SR22 as well, which helps you get your license reinstated.

While you are not allowed legally to drive while your license is suspended, by getting insurance you can register your vehicle and work towards reinstating your driver license.

Bargain Insurance Connection can help you getting your license reinstated. Give us a call at 816.453.7722 for a consultation.

Why do I need to list all my household residents of driving age?

In some States, the insurance companies may ask you to disclose all residents in your household who are of driving age. If you have additional residents who will not be driving your insured vehicle, you have to exclude them from your policy as drivers. There are different laws between States about exclusions. Our agents can explain you more in detail, call us for a free consultation – 816.453.7722

What Does Basic Liability Insurance Cover?

Basic liability coverage is the minimum insurance coverage in your state. For Missouri and Kansas, minimum limits are 25/50/25 which means $25,000 bodily injury each person, $50,000 bodily injury per accident and $25,000 property damage.

It means if you were to hit another vehicle, your insurance company would pay up to the limits of you policy to the other driver. In Missouri and Kansas you also have uninsured motorist coverage, which helps you with medical bills should the at-fault driver not have any car insurance.

In the State of Kansas, you also have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) which covers your medical cost as well as rehab and work loss cost up to $4,500. Higher limits can be selected.

If you have additional questions, give us a call at 816.453.7722.

What Is Comprehensive Coverage?

Comprehensive coverage is usually part of comprehensive and collision insurance. The comprehensive part of the policy pays damage or replacement of your vehicle caused by theft, vandalism, hail, wind, falling objects, fire and collision with an animal.

There is a deductible for comprehensive coverage, a common deductible is $500.

For more information, check our auto insurance page or call us at 816.453.7722.

What Is Collision Coverage?

Collision coverage on your policy pays for repairing or replacing your vehicle after an accident with another vehicle or object. Also with collision coverage, you have a deductible to pay if you are at fault.

If you are financing a vehicle, this coverage is required by your lender until the vehicle is paid off.

For more info, check out our auto insurance page or call us at 816.453.7722

What Is A Deductible?

Deductible on your auto insurance policy is your out of pocket expense to fix or replace your vehicle after an accident before the coverage kicks in. Most common deductible is $500, but you can choose a higher deductible and save money on the insurance premium.

If the damage to your vehicle is $2,000 and your deductible is $500, you would pay the first $500 and your insurance company pays the remaining $1,500.

If the accident was not your fault and the other driver has insurance, then you do not need to pay your deductible, since the other insurance is paying for your damages.

If you happen to be in an hit & run accident, unfortunately you are still responsible for your deductible.

Liability only insurance policies do not have a deductible, since that policy only covers damage to the other vehicle.

What Is Full Coverage Insurance?

Comprehensive and Collision insurance, or more commonly known as full coverage consist of different coverages:

BI-PD – Bodily Injury and Property Damage (required)

UIM – Uninsured Motorist Coverage (required)

UIMBI – Underinsured Motorist Coverage

MedPay – Medical Payment

Comp – Comprehensive Coverage

Coll – Collision Coverage

Ded – Deductible

This policy covers your vehicle regardless who was at fault in the accident up to the limits of your policy. Some coverages are required in most states, while others are optional.

If you are making payments on your car, your finance company will ask you to carry comprehensive and collision coverage during the loan term.

Fore more information, check out our auto insurance page.

What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage is part of your auto insurance policy and is required in most states.

Just like the name implies, that part of your policy pays for your medical expenses if you are hit by another vehicle that is not insured.

The minimum limits in Missouri and Kansas for uninsured coverage is $25,000 each person and $50,000 each accident in medical expenses. You can choose higher limits, ask your insurance agent about the coverage.

For coverage explanation call us at 816.453.7722.

Can I Use My Insurance On A Rental Car?

There comes a time where you need or want to rent a car either as a replacement of your car or just for pleasure. You want to make sure you have insurance on the rental car.

To have rental car added to your policy, you must have comprehensive and collision coverage. You cannot add rental car coverage to a liability only policy.

If your auto insurance policy has rental car coverage added and you get into an accident, your insurance company will pay for the rental car and will also extend the same insurance coverage to the rental vehicle. This coverage is generally for 30 days only and covers a certain amount, mostly about $30 per day.

On the other hand, if you just want to rent a car for pleasure, you can use your insurance coverage, but your insurance company will not pay the daily rental rate. This way you don’t have to purchase insurance from the rental place. You don’t have to have rental car coverage on your policy for you to transfer coverage to a rental.

However, note that some insurance companies only extend coverage to a rental vehicle if you have a claim filed with them.


Can I use my insurance if I have only liability insurance on my car?

Yes, you can, but you need to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage from the rental place that covers their car. At least that would be a smaller daily charge since you are not buying the liability portion.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call us at 816.453.7722 or use our contact form.

Do I need to notify my insurance company about my DUI?

Insurance companies are not automatically notified about your DUI. It is up to the insured to let the insurance company know.

However, most insurance companies check your driving record on your policy renewal date or once a year.

At that time the insurance company will find out about your DUI conviction which can cause your insurance premium to increase or can cause non-renewal of your policy.

Why did my rates go up?

Most common reason your insurance rates have increased is because of additional moving violations on your driving record or new accidents. However, sometimes your rates can go up for no fault of your own. Insurance companies review their losses every year and some areas are prone to more accidents than others and will therefore be considered a higher risk. Rates for those areas might have a slight increase in rates, while other areas with low accident rates might have a decrease.

Your agent at Bargain Insurance Connection can best answer all questions you have.

Call us for a rate comparison – (816) 453-7722

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

©2024. All rights reserved. | Powered by Zywave Websites