Auto Icon


Get affordable auto insurance in Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas & Illinois
Get a Quote
Home Icon


Homeowners, vacant property and landlord insurance in Missouri & Kansas
Get a Quote
Motorcycle Icon


We browse through a wide variety of coverages and find the right one for you.
Get a Quote
SR22 Icon


SR22 and non-owner insurance for Missouri, Kansas & Illinois
Get a Quote
Commercial Auto Icon

Commercial Auto

Commercial insurance for semi-trucks, dump trucks, box trucks and more!
Get a Quote
General Liability Icon

General Liability

Protect your business with general liability insurance!
Get a Quote
Home » Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Motorhome and Travel Trailer Insurance for Missouri and Kansas


Is RV insurance required in Missouri and Kansas?

Just like your auto insurance, to operate a recreational vehicle on public roads and highways in Missouri and Kansas, you’ll need to have RV insurance. The minimum coverage requirements for the state are:

  • Liability protection of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
  • Property damage protection of no less than $25,000 per occurrence.

Additionally, it’s important when selecting coverage to make sure you are covered for the risks associated with your type of RV. For example, if you drive a motorhome or towable trailer, it’s important to get coverage that will protect them from any damage caused by natural disasters and collisions.


How much does RV insurance cost?

The cost of RV insurance depends on factors like your the size of the RV and the amount of coverage you are looking for. Generally speaking, RV insurance is more expensive than traditional auto insurance due to its comprehensive nature and unique needs. In Missouri and Kansas, the average cost of RV insurance can range from $250-$1,500 depending on what type of coverage you choose.

Class A motorhomes, which are largest and most luxurious of the RVs, typically require the most expensive coverage while lightweight travel trailers are usually the least expensive. Travel trailers also tend to carry lower liability limits than motorhomes since there is less risk involved with them.

It also depends how often your RV is used. If you’re a full-time RV traveler, insurance companies may require additional coverage due to the increased risk of being on the road for long periods of time.

No matter what type of RV you own, it’s important to remember that it’s a major investment and protecting it from damage is essential. RV insurance can provide peace of mind and financial protection in the event of an accident or other disaster.


Types of RV Insurance Coverage

RV insurance typically includes coverage for physical damage, liability, medical payments, and uninsured motorist property damage coverage. Specific types of coverage vary by state but may also include:

  • Collision Coverage: provides coverage in case of a collision with another vehicle or object
  • Comprehensive Coverage: covers damage as the result of events other than collisions, such as theft, hail, fire, and vandalism
  • Personal Property Coverage: pays for damages to personal items stored in your RV
  • Medical Payments Coverage: provides coverage for medical expenses caused by an accident involving your RV
  • Liability Coverage: provides coverage to the other party in case of an accident caused by your RV
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage: provides coverage to your vehicle if the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance
  • Total Loss Replacement: it pays the full value to replace your RV if it is totaled in an accident as long as your RV is 5 years or newer.
  • Personal effects: It covers your personal belongings, such as clothing, electronics, jewelry and more in case they are stolen or damaged while you’re driving or camping. Emergency Expense: If you find yourself stranded on the road, at a distance of at least 50 miles from your home, your insurance company will cover the expenses for lodging, travel, and fuel up to the chosen limit. Rest assured that you will be adequately taken care of in such situations.

Insuring an RV as a Full-Time Resident

If you use your RV or travel trailer as your permanent residence, also known as full-timers coverage, you have the option to purchase this specific coverage. Full-timers coverage offers broader liability coverage as well as comprehensive coverage for your belongings. However, it’s important to note that the cost is typically higher due to the more extensive usage of your RV or trailer.

To ensure a seamless claims process, it is important to inform your insurance company when you transition your RV into a permanent residence. By doing so, you can prevent any potential complications that may arise in the future.

What Does Travel Trailer Insurance Include?

Travel trailer insurance includes coverage for your recreational vehicle itself as well as any personal property you may have in the trailer. Depending on the policy, it also includes coverage for liability claims that might arise from an accident involving your travel trailer, such as bodily injury or property damage to others.

Travel trailer insurance can help protect you financially if your travel trailer is stolen or damaged due to a collision.

Is insurance necessary for a trailer?

While your trailer is being pulled by your vehicle, you don’t need insurance specifically for your trailer. However, if you’re storing it in an RV storage facility or parked on your property, you may need to get comprehensive and collision coverage if you want physical damage insurance.

Depending on where you live and the type of trailer you have, different types of policies are available.

Do you have any further inquiries about motorhome or travel trailer insurance? Feel free to reach out to us at 816.453.7722.

Whether you live in Kansas City or anywhere else in Missouri or Kansas, we can help you insure your recreational vehicle.

Travel Trailer

We offer coverage for the following types of RVs:


  • Motorhomes (Class A, Class B, and Class C)
  • Travel Trailers
  • Fifth Wheels
  • Toy Haulers
  • Popup Campers
  • Camper Vans

Our experienced staff are well versed in RV insurance policies. Give us a call today at 816.453.7722  or request an online quote!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

©2024. All rights reserved. | Powered by Zywave Websites