What Does General Liability Cover for Contractors?
Contractors face a unique set of risks. Whether you work on clients’ homes or have customers coming to your store, you could experience costly losses if your work results in third-party bodily injury or property damage. General liability insurance can help protect your contracting business from financial hardship when these accidents occur.
We’re here to help. Contact Bargain Insurance Connection in Kansas City, Missouri, for more information on our general liability insurance coverage.
What Is General Liability Insurance?
General liability insurance can help protect your business from claims stemming from your everyday business operations. If your business is sued, general liability insurance, also called commercial general liability insurance, can help protect your business. Before you purchase a general liability policy, it’s important to understand what kind of coverage it provides.
What Does General Liability Insurance Cover?
Although insurance policies may vary among insurers, here are some commonly included general liability insurance coverages:
- Bodily injury liability can help cover costs (e.g., legal fees, lost wages, medical bills) if your business is accused of causing bodily harm to a third party.
- Medical payments coverage can help pay for the medical bills of non-employees if they’re injured on your business premises or because of your business operations.
- Property damage liability can help cover costs from property damage caused to a third party as a result of your business operations.
- Completed operations coverage can help pay property damage to a third party that occurs after your business has finished work.
- Personal and advertising injury liability can help pay for costs (e.g., legal fees, settlements) if you’re accused of using stolen advertising ideas, causing personal injury (e.g., slander, defamation), or publishing false or misleading statements.
Is General Liability Insurance Required?
Depending on your industry, state requirements may mandate you purchase a general liability insurance policy. In some cases, clients may also consider it a requisite to go into business with you. Even when not required, general liability coverage is a key aspect of risk management as it can protect your business from costly out-of-pocket expenses if something goes wrong.
Getting General Liability Insurance
We’re here to help you find the business protection insurance you deserve. Contact Bargain Insurance Connection for a general liability insurance quote and to speak to an insurance agent.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.